Monday, January 14, 2008

New Year, New Us

Things have been crazy this year and it's only January 14th! Well, it's not exactly as if anything is calm in this house ever so I don't know what I expected, but I've decided it's a new year, we need a new us. We are one down in the Bowling household as my mother has decided not to be a part of us anymore. I have not seen her since the day after Christmas and I am OK with that. It's sad really, but what can I do. It's not as if I can just go to the store and pick out a new mother. I hate that she left without saying anything, but I can get over it. It's not exactly her style to communicate or anything. I hate that she left without saying anything to my brother.

I was already married when my parents split up (and let's not talk about the fact that they never even told me, my brother had to when I called one day) but my brother is 16 and he has had to deal with crap from the two people who brought him into this world since he can remember. I hate that he's from a "broken home." I hate that his father never calls him or sees him. I hate that his mother has now abandoned him too. I hate that neither of them seem to care enough that they do anything about it. I am trying to stay positive, and be the adult figure that he needs so desperately, but I have three small kids. What do I know about raising a teenager who has never been responsible for anything before?

I unleashed the chore chart tonight. Each day of the week everyone has something they are responsible for doing. I need this for my sanity and for teaching my siblings how to be responsible. I know it's small, but it's a start. I would like to implement some pretty strict scheduled things into the week too, so I am working towards that. I used to be such a non-schedule person, but I feel like anymore, I need it for my sanity. The kids need a better routine too. Every since Mark and Amanda came a year ago, the kids and routine was thrown off. Things were crazy and I never knew how to fix it into a way I wanted. Now as it seems to be a permanent thing, I am putting my foot down for chaos to cease. I feel like a drill sergeant and this house is my boot camp. I can't take it anymore, and I am not going to. We are switching rooms around a bit too, so that Simeon doesn't have to sleep in a closet until he's 18. Simeon and Mark will share a room and Amanda and Sophie will share a room. Jacob and Alice and I will move back downstairs. Also, I will finally clean my craft room. I don't think I could find anything in that room if you paid me.

No comments: