Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years Resolutions 2013

I am not really a New Year's resolution kind of gal. I barely have time to shower every day, let alone sit around and think about things I am going to change and then give up on January 7th.

This year is a little different for our family. Technically, our life change just happens to fall at the beginning of the year, but we'll go with the whole resolution thing because then we'll be the winners when we're still going in December.

I have been in denial of my Celiac disease since last June. After fighting for a diagnosis, I then ignored it. Why? Because that's the kind of nut ball I am.

I did really well for about a week - sound familiar, resolution people?

Then I missed Fast Food and Pizza and told myself it was ok. If I choose to feel like crap, then it's different. It's my decision.

I have progressively gotten worse (Duh) and am now to the point that my whole body is completely out of whack. I will spare you the details of my psychotic thyroid or old lady ovaries, but suffice it to say I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Celiac runs in families. Being sure that Sophia already has symptoms, and the other children could at any time, our whole family is going gluten-free. Jacob is being a good sport about it, declaring that he will be eating as much gluten as possible while away from the house.

A friend loaned me 'Gluten Free on a Shoestring' and for the first time since my diagnosis, I felt like I could actually do this and not go broke. That I could feed a family of seven and not have to work 4 jobs. Seriously, I have never been so excited to make food from scratch. If you are GF and have not heard of this book, please, go to her blog now.

Armed with my newfound ambition and desire to not vomit my meals, I shopped completely GF for the first time yesterday. I was so happy with all of the things I was able to buy, and all of the like-normal things I am going to be able to cook for my family.

I am also really hoping to get back on a healthier path of eating with my new diet. I haven't gained much weight back, but I haven't lost any since before the holidays. And by holidays, I mean Halloween. Stupid mini candy bars.

Lastly, we are hoping to get on a solid path towards becoming debt free within the next couple of years. Of course, I would love it to be sooner, but we are trying to be realistic. We have looked into the Dave Ramsey program and are still considering the best tools to use. It is going to be hard. Having a large family in this economy wasn't easy to start with. I am confident that if we pull up our big girl and big boy pants high enough, we can put a good dent in our debt and learn to be more responsible with our money.

So there you have it. For someone who doesn't "do" resolutions, I just made three.

Fat Free, Debt Free and Gluten Free. See you in December, losers!

No comments: