Friday, December 12, 2008

We met with the pediatric endocrine doctor on Wednesday afternoon. She was as perplexed as our family doctor about the situation. Simeon's hypoglycemia does not follow a normal pattern and so she has ordered more tests to try and determine the cause. He has to do what is basically a controlled fast. This means on Monday morning I get to admit my baby into Riley and starve him for an indefinite amount of hours. At least 10, no more than about 15 is what she told me. I cannot imagine what it will be like. He will be so hungry and they will be drawing blood at set intervals so basically they can catch him at a hypoglycemic state. I guess it's seeing how long it takes his sugar to go below 40 and then testing different hormone levels and things while he is at a low. Luckily there is plenty for a child to do at a childrens hospital. I hope it will be enough to deter him from how hungry he is and how mad he is at everyone poking and sticking him. I don't know yet how long he will be at the hospital, probably overnight, but we should get to go home sometime on Tuesday. I just hope it all goes smoothly and that we can walk away with at least some preliminary answers.

On a lighter note, I had my 32 week prenatal appointment this afternoon and everything looked good. Not that I expected otherwise. I have gained about 6 pounds so far and I am measuring right on. I usually measure about a month ahead, but I don't think this baby feels any smaller unfortunately. Baby's heartbeat was 158 and she's head down. Ready to greet the world. She has a lot of growing to do yet though. I cannot imagine being more uncomfortable than I am right now. She feels like she is taking up all the space of my pelvis, abdomen, lungs, and throat. Maybe she'll come 2 weeks early and spare me those 14 extra back pained nights.

No comments: