Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Poor Ankle Ligaments

Oh you know how I love a good hospital blog. We all knew it had to be about time for one right? I fell down the stairs on Monday night while carrying a basket of laundry. I knew laundry would be the death of me. I have been saying it for months. I stepped on a mega block that one of my beautiful children left on the stairs. I proceeded to land flat on my newest daughter and the small basket simultaneously and somewhat roll the rest of the down. I have never felt pain like that. My ankle hurt so bad I immediately became nauseous. I felt like I was going to die. A bit dramatic I know, but it hurt so bad, I just knew it was broken. After rolling on the ground in pain for a few minutes Jake tried to help me up. I thought I would pass out I was so dizzy. So I laid on the stairs a little while longer until I began to shiver so much that I had to force myself to go lay on the couch inside. After I calmed down a bit and Jacob let me take off my shoe we assessed the damage. It didn't look bad at all. Swollen maybe a little but we had applied ice right away and elevated it. I'm sure that helped. It still felt terrible, but I could move it and so I didn't think it was broken and figured life would go on. We had a pair of crutches in the basement so Jake got them for me and I started my journey of helplessness for the rest of the night. I tried to help him cook dinner, but just got frustrated and so I went and laid down. After watching a couple of hours of TV with it elevated and not moving it felt better. I woke up a few times in the night with it throbbing and when I woke up at 6:30 I again thought we might have to just cut it off. It hurt so bad I had no idea how I was going to get the kids ready for daycare.

We managed and I hobbled around work all day. One year olds and a sprained ankle. Probably wasn't the best idea, but I had to go to work. By nap it still hurt so bad and then a co-worker told me about how she had broken her ankle the same way a few years back and thought it was sprained, but finally went in and it was broken. I knew I had to go get it x-rayed. I didn't want to, but I knew I had to. Jacob got off early and took me to the hospital. The good thing is, when they know what's wrong with you already you get to go to the fast track side of the ER and it goes a little faster. They took me for an X-Ray and someone came in and listened to the baby with a doppler. I guess I should mention that I was a bit nervous about falling right on my stomach, but I laid down and felt her moving around. I knew she was ok, I had no pain in my stomach or anything and she was acting fine.

Thank goodness nothing was broken and so they gave me this beautiful air cast to wear for a week and told me I could have a script for stronger tylenol, which I declined. I don't really like taking regular tylenol, I will live. I am supposed to stay off of it and ice it for 24-48 hours. I wanted to laugh. I work 32 hours a week, go to school full time and have three kids and a house to take care of. How am I supposed to just lay around for 2 days with my foot elevated? Ugh. I felt like crap calling Laura last night. I will probably go in tomorrow and just try to take it easy. It's killing me to not clean everything in my disaterous house, but I know I am not going to get better at all if I don't let it heal.

I could totally be mopping the floor in my kitchen right now.

No comments: